22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Voted : 9
Total Votes: 9

karamel 
Gamer

Helped: 1
Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:42 pm   Toggle number of visible links

If anyone hasn't seen it yet: the new update has made it so that clicking 'Open all' will open 250 links, as opposed to the original 100 links.

In short, I'd like to have an option where you specify the number of visible links to 'open all'. This feature would be in the Account section and a simple textbox to specify the number of desired visible links is good enough. If it affects the server's strain, you can easily place a limit on numbers. That way, those who want 250 visible links can keep it that way--and those who want less can change it.

Some computers can't handle opening 250 links all at once (like I said in the topic description) and I don't really want this site to become one just for expensive computers with specs equivalent to that of Alienware laptops. >_>;;

edit: Yes, Snaplinks is an alternative--and I'll be using it in the meantime--but if you're going to suggest using Snaplinks, why put an 'Open all' feature in the first place? :P

Also, this isn't too relevant, but can I ask why it was changed to 250? I know that it can make clicking much quicker; was that the sole reason?

Thanks.
Last edited by karamel on Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total  

DemonicJ 
Site Admin
The Mob Emperor

Helped: 9 times
Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:28 am   

If you are using any other browser than IE I suggest getting snaplinks & snapping only what your PC can handle.

On the bright side of things, your suggestion will be implemented in the near future.

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”

Proudly the Emperor of The MOB. The oldest surviving & most successful large dynasty

Myouki 
n00b

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:46 am   

Agreed, it would be nice to be able to select how many links are visible since my computer gives me angry whirring fan noises whenever I decide to click. Yes, snaplinks is an option (which I do happen to use)... the only problem I find with that is in places like the dynasty (especially ones with a large ally list), it's kind of hard to keep up with how far down the page you are since more links can be added by users at any time while you're clicking. Since the dynasty page is so long for me, I usually found it easier just to click the mouse to snaplink at the top of the page, press the 'end' key to quickly scroll to the bottom of the page, then move the mouse slightly to drag the outline to the bottom of the page so I could just click the 100 links that showed up in my latest page refresh.

It's still doable in the current situation, but it's a bit more time-consuming for now since it either has me manually figuring out how far down the page I need to go or waiting longer for the extra 150 links to load with the other 100. But I'm glad to hear the option to select how many are viewable per page load will be implemented in the future. My computer thanks you~

DemonicJ 
Site Admin
The Mob Emperor

Helped: 9 times
Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:13 am   

The Admin team have been chatting about this & the thought is to have 3 selectable levels;
Low - 50 links visible (good for windows tablets)
Medium - 100 links visible (older pc's)
High - 250 links visible (high performance PCs &/or updated software)

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”

Proudly the Emperor of The MOB. The oldest surviving & most successful large dynasty

karamel 
Gamer

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:22 pm   

Myouki, I don't know if we're using the same version of Snaplinks (Plus), but my version tells me how many links I've selected. I tend to open ~100 in a new window and then wait for a few of those links to load, then close the window and rinse and repeat. :wink:

As for the three selectable levels, those look fine to me! I'm looking forward to this being implemented.

Myouki 
n00b

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:20 am   

karamel, my chrome browser has snap links lite. I tried going into options for the extension, but there's only three adjustable settings: snap visible things only, mouse button to snap options, and open in reverse order. Opera's Snap links does have the option to show how many links are selected in the taskbar, however. Thank you for the reminder, I'd gone so long without needing it that the feature slipped my mind.

I also like the idea of three different view settings, I can't wait for it~

City of MT 
Gamer God

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:45 am   

Myouki,
karamel was talking about Snap Links Plus in Firefox. The lite version in Chromium based browsers does not have the feature.

Win 500 Credits from contests and games!

karamel 
Gamer

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:30 am   

(Thanks City of MT.) I just looked at the bottom of your post for your browser name and it came up with an old Mozilla logo, so I thought you used Mozilla. ><;; Yeah, Chrome's Snaplinks isn't too good; it's too simple IMHO. Opera is very similar to FF, so using either of those two browsers (Opera and FF) is good for Snaplinks. :)

Myouki 
n00b

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:25 pm   

Yeah, I saw I had the old mozilla logo and was kind of confused too, but it had the correct info listed once I hovered my mouse over it. I actually used to use Firefox, but one of the sites I frequented (gpxplus) updated and became incompatible with Firefox along with Opera (which was my secondary browser at the time), so I ended up migrating to Chrome since I've had bad experiences in the past with Internet Explorer. Yeah, Chrome's snap links is simple, but it's better than nothing and served my needs at the time. I'll just boot up Opera whenever I want to click while we wait for the update.

Reply to topic