SWLE Forum Index
FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Register  Log in  Album  Download

Previous topic :: Next topic
Closed by: Yarold
Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:36 pm
Admins who are also emp's or dynasty leaders

Does the operation of emp's who are also site admin cause problems?
YES
60%
 60%  [ 28 ]
NO
30%
 30%  [ 14 ]
UNSURE
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Voted : 46
Total Votes: 46

Jeff 
Hardcore Gamer

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:03 pm   Things that AMAZE me...

1. People that REALLY DON'T know what they are talking about but are "experts" on the
subject.

2. Memory loss in otherwise young, healthy, intelligent people.

3. The Stockholm Syndrome. (Google it.)

LMAO!

bluebell_rose 
The Mobs Mod
WolfPack Leader

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:25 pm   

albacyty wrote:
footballer wrote:
I think that this is talking about only one admin.

Of course that is only spoken of an administrator. the administrator/emperor who broke the alliance with the dynasty of the person who has begun east subject. :wink:
hmm... it is a chance?

footballer wrote:
I'm afraid to speak further

hmm... we are going to have to think seriously about engaging bodyguard to write in the forum. :razz:

This is very funny!!

very true pili. I still remember what tiddamouse said about her.

mao_nagra 
Gamer God

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:14 am   

I suppose it is time to stop this discussion
if people are afraid of something and don't fell secure and at home in this forum you just have to go
if you lack it has it is just stay else just go away
there are no wan that constrict you to stay in the forum if you don't lack it

DashaBlade 
Gamer Deity

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:56 am   

I can't vote in this poll. The reason? Because there's no "I could not possibly care less." choice.

Seriously, if the way things are done on the site ever bother me enough to start picketing and protesting, I'll just take my toys and play somewhere else. Life's too short to be worried that some admin might possibly get more clicks than I do or that someone else's dynasty is doing better than mine.

I didn't sign up for the site to get into fights. If I want those, there are other places online where I can go. :lol:

I signed up to get visits to one game I played. Through this site, I've found dozens of other fun games, some of which I play, and some of which my kids play, because I saw someone's link.

The drama and the politics and the conspiracies? Nahhh. I'll go pick fights at livejournal or MySpace if I want that. They yell louder. :mrgreen:

Cookie 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:09 am   

i think the results say it all...........

mao_nagra 
Gamer God

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:24 am   

has a non voter I don't know the results :wink:

sks 
Gamer God

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:42 am   

well...i thought this topic is for general discussion about possible "conflict of interests" when admins participate in a competition.... looks like i was wrong, probably due to my insufficient knowledge of english language. then sorry, my post was off-topic.

nevertheless, after i've read all three pages of posts, i have to ask one question:
is it useful for the site to have an admin who divides the community, causes members (even paying ones) leave or even causes personal attacks between other members?

bluebell_rose 
The Mobs Mod
WolfPack Leader

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:04 am   

We love jay. If frank didn't think jay was up to it, would frank promote jay to admin?

DemonicJ 
Site Admin
The Mob Emperor

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:18 am   

sks wrote:
well...i thought this topic is for general discussion about possible "conflict of interests" when admins participate in a competition.... looks like i was wrong, probably due to my insufficient knowledge of english language. then sorry, my post was off-topic.

nevertheless, after i've read all three pages of posts, i have to ask one question:
is it useful for the site to have an admin who divides the community, causes members (even paying ones) leave or even causes personal attacks between other members?

People will come & people will go, whether they pay or not. If they are leaving because of an admins actions, maybe they should be looking at why admins are constantly removing their short notes, posts in forums, multi accounts or adding warnings & even bans (both in the forum & on the exchange site). Admins are here to make sure the rules are followed & to take appropriate action to rectify things that arent.

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”

Proudly the Emperor of The MOB. The oldest surviving & most successful large dynasty

sks 
Gamer God

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:14 am   

bluebell_rose wrote:
We love jay.

yes. this is exactly what i wrote about. many love him and many hate him. many think about his motivation every time he does anything... i'm far to judge where the truth is, who is a "victim" and who is an "offender" and i have to say i don't care much, i'm just an ordinary clicker. only what i want to say is, that, in my humble opinion, for the site would be better to have an admin who would cause less emotions - less loved and less hated admin. more neutral person who will calm down the quarrels instead of causing them with his every second decision (again, doesn't matter if he is right or not; maybe even worse when he is....).
well maybe i'm strange or naive or both, but by me, admins generally shouldn't be loved or hated, just respected....

DemonicJ wrote:
People will come & people will go, whether they pay or not. If they are leaving because of an admins actions, maybe they should be looking at why admins are constantly removing their short notes, posts in forums, multi accounts or adding warnings & even bans (both in the forum & on the exchange site). Admins are here to make sure the rules are followed & to take appropriate action to rectify things that arent.

no problem with it. my post had nothing to do with work of admins.

Jeff 
Hardcore Gamer

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:15 pm   

DemonicJ wrote:
People will come & people will go, whether they pay or not. If they are leaving because of an admins actions, maybe they should be looking at why admins are constantly removing their short notes, posts in forums, multi accounts or adding warnings & even bans (both in the forum & on the exchange site). Admins are here to make sure the rules are followed & to take appropriate action to rectify things that arent.[/color][/b]

That, Jay is exactly what admins are for! And it is exactly what most admins do. The problem is when an admin doesn't stop at enforcing the rules and uses his power or threat of using it to further his/her own interests. This may even harm the website and members the admin is charged with protecting!

Just to clarify my situation, since this statement is phrased to allow people to infer that I have had my short notes and forum posts constantly removed, that I have had multi accounts and multiple warnings and bans...
Aside from having short notes removed for being too big, NONE of these things apply to me! With the exception being that I have received ONE warning in this forum because I used a modified cuss word when referring to a man that was abusing a friend at this site. Everything was denied by both parties to the admins, and he is still here.
I am member in good standing and have been so for well over a year. At one time I even considered joining Jay's dynasty when I was new.
I do what I do and say what I say because I care about a place where I DO spend a significant amount of time! I do care about a place where I have MANY friends!
I am NOT a chronic malcontent! What I AM is somebody that is NOT AFRAID to speak my mind when someone is perpetrating an injustice. I have only ever criticized anything or anyone three times in this forum and the exchange. Two times were to point out that a man was injuring a female friend by use of social/power inequity. One was just plain mean spirited and the other was based on control/power desires. That second one was very similar to the third time I spoke out which was about a certain dynasty's use of questionable tricks to win the clicking contests. The need to win, to beat others, is also what instigated this thread, the thought that an admin may be using his position to further his dynasty and his aspirations at the cost of good members.
Is this wrong for me to want you to at least THINK about the possibility that EVERYONE you meet online and yes. even here at Yarold's may be self-centered and NOT have YOUR best interests at heart all the time? And that, in the case of the first incident, may even cause you harm? In the case of the second that those of you that put such a high premium on winning that you were possibly being cheated? Or in this last case that an admin could use his position and
power to bully and manipulate otherwise upstanding members for his own / his dynasty's gain?

Guess what?
There appears to be a LOT of people that ARE concerned about these things!
Some are so tired of it, they even left Yarold's after long and distinguished memberships. Some have even paid and walked away. These people left because they were beat down fighting against people that were in a position to hurt them that they could not do anything about. I mean the full range from constant mild irritation to depression from someone ruining something they loved for them. It wasn't because of the flippant reasons Jay would have you believe based on his statement.
If you are not concerned, then good luck in all your internet dealings and especially in the REAL WORLD where people can REALLY hurt you.
At least I have made you aware. Momentarily anyway.
Of course, those of you willing to put up with abuse and look the other way to someone else being abused so that you can be liked or stay in the good graces of a website community admin, or find any "conflict" distasteful, probably don't get out very often anyway.

I will tell you one thing, NOBODY walks on me or my friends, while I sit idly by so I can stay "comfortable"!

Your Friend,
Jeff

[ Added: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:53 am ]
bluebell_rose wrote:
albacyty wrote:
footballer wrote:
I think that this is talking about only one admin.

Of course that is only spoken of an administrator. the administrator/emperor who broke the alliance with the dynasty of the person who has begun east subject. :wink:
hmm... it is a chance?

footballer wrote:
I'm afraid to speak further

hmm... we are going to have to think seriously about engaging bodyguard to write in the forum. :razz:

This is very funny!!

very true pili. I still remember what tiddamouse said about her.

I try to refrain from anything personal, but since you are wrongly accusing my friend...
If you bothered to read the thread before making snide remarks you would know that I. JEFF started this discussion and I am not HER!

Also if if some fly-by-nighter, some flash in the pan, like "tiddamouse" had something enlightening to say she should say it... Oh wait, tiddamouse is long gone according to her profile. If you want to make derogatory comments about someone you could at least give it the personal touch and be original.

Jeanne 
Gamer God
Unique

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:50 pm   

Did anyone have a problem with Frank (Metalteo) running his dynasty? Does anyone have a problem with Bella running it now?

Before taking MODS/Admins away from Dynasty leaderships we really need to think what the real problem is? Is it all that we have a problem with? or the actions of 1? and what are the exact actions? Is it jealousy on our part or site rules being broken or exploited.
It needs serious considerations on our motives for doing things before we start removing Admin Emperors.

Sure they can use the "powers" they have also to benefit their dynasty/members and as Emp I would like to have the same abilities sometimes (when a member by accident leaves his/her links open and logg off I could enter the profile and turn them off before the member went negative - or has a "bad" SN - I could edit it) but who among you wouldn't do the same if you had the ability?

Jeff we can joke about it but I don't think I have the Stockholm Syndrom - yes I have gone back several times - but not to Jay .... to The MOB - to help run it and I wasn't threatened or pushed to do so - I "grew up" in that dynasty and maybe because I ran it as Emp for a while - I care about that dynastys wellbeing .

I dislike the vendetta that has been going on here for months now, and I don't think it would end even if Stan "demoted" Jay, it's personal attacks on a guy and anyone close to him - If anyone see a problem with a dynasty run by an admin - don't ally with it and it will go away - simple really.

I am gratefull to all the MODs and Admins who spend so much of their time working (unpaid and un-thanked) to help Stan keep this site running for the rest of us.

Jenn: LOL - always the voice of reason - I love you :wink:

jassej 
MMC UBC mod

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:46 pm   

Jeanne wrote:
Did anyone have a problem with Frank (Metalteo) running his dynasty? Does anyone have a problem with Bella running it now?

Metalteo (was) and Bella is in a dynasty to help members or others dynasty and not for competition like this 1.
All should have respect to admin ant not hate him or be afraid.
Should a admin to read or delete pm?
Activist tell me, admin read and delete his pm.
Maybe admin can do it this but people are offended and leave yarold.

Jeanne wrote:
If anyone see a problem with a dynasty run by an admin - don't ally with it and it will go away - simple really.

So simple is not...because he make everything that members others dynasty leave yarold

Yarold 
Site Admin

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:26 pm   

Quote:
when a member by accident leaves his/her links open and logg off I could enter the profile and turn them off before the member went negative - or has a "bad" SN - I could edit it

this action (all editing to be precise) is logged and you 'd be denominated from admin quite fast

People here are mostly not children and can think of actions they make, so i suggest end discussions like 'Hey, sky is blue, lets make it black" as you can see this topic have 3 pages of those, and its not going anywhere. Please start giving any solutions.

And for those with "Demote DJ":
if i were to demote DJ because of your voices then:
- short notes size - fortunately are checked by script and that can go normal way.
- short notes moderation - someone have to check if dynasty exchange page is in one piece, remove all s*** f*** b***, blinking things and other from them. After that explain that its not abusing freedom of speech. Its not equally divided between admins so it might leave 1/3 of members without moderation. ( i resigned from that long time ago)
- links moderation - we have moderators to help with that so only waiting time will extend
- multies - at the moment DJ and ecco do those. This task is most time consuming. I guess some of you 'd get full of joy to start new "multies war"

Above sums up for no.

Next person gives better suggestion ( - line for those who played Ë„Ë‚Ë… game)

Tevie 
Hardcore Gamer

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:56 pm   

Ok Stan wants a solution so here's my idea and unless someone can come up with something better I don't want to hear anything negative about it!

Train Monkeys and make them Mods and Admins. Think about it Monkeys can be trained for lots of things and they don't care about helping other creatures grow or having the biggest city ... ok maybe they'd play the La Brute when they're in a fighting mood but hey nothing perfect. The best part if someone breaks a rule they'll just throw ... err maybe it's not the best idea but hey it will stop people real quick from breaking rules who wants to get hit with poo.

MUSHpark 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:30 pm   

Jeanne wrote:

No, this is clearly pointed at Jay. What else is new?

Jeanne wrote:
Is it jealousy on our part or site rules being broken or exploited.

I think it's a perception of unequal treatment of people who break or exploit site rules.

I don't think there's much argument that multies (rule breakers) being banned is a bad thing. I think some dynasties feel targeted when people in their dynasties end up the ones being banned.

Jeanne wrote:
I dislike the vendetta that has been going on here for months now, and I don't think it would end even if Stan "demoted" Jay, it's personal attacks on a guy and anyone close to him - If anyone see a problem with a dynasty run by an admin - don't ally with it and it will go away - simple really.

Yes, Jeanne. You and I have a unique perspective of having tried to run the Mob in spite of a lot of people hating Jay. It really limits the ability to get and keep a lot of allies who refuse to deal with him. The mob would be much more successful, probably, if Jay weren't an admin than if it is.

Stan was nice enough to list Jay's duties for us.... seems the only one where he really can abuse his "power" to affect the dynasty competition is in banning multies.

So clearly this thread is all about him "abusing his power" by banning rule-breakers. It is no surprise that some of the loudest voices of dissent are from dynasties that have had a lot of multi-accounts get banned in the past.

I'd be interested in hearing anyone cite any one specific example of Jay inappropriately banning an account. Just one, please.

sks 
Gamer God

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:36 pm   

Jeanne wrote:

be sure i really don't care about the names of admins and it isn't personal, at least from my side. and since i noticed that you joined in september 08, let me show you few quotes from july of the same year ;)
Quote:
Quote:
It looks to me after reading this top messages several times,that the brilliant ADMIN in Gamers Alliance have difficulties finding friendly dynasty's with lotsa!! members,so now they need to do this

Quote:
A very sad and manipulative way to try to help Gamers Alliance achieve what it has never been able to achieve,namely- a loyal and dedicated following.Maybe you should spend more time looking in the mirror.

Quote:
This gives the impression that the site admins' dynasties can't compete so they're changing the rules to make themselves more competitive.

i could show you more, but i'm lazy to search and read old topics :mrgreen:
so you can see that this has nothing to do with a concrete person. accusations come every time when people feel to be traited or hurt or even cheated (regardless if they are right or not).
imho the best solution is to have neutral admins which are not members of any dynasty. otherwise this situation will come back again and again time to time.... well, why not to pay them? isn't it possible? i'm sure they deserve it for their work.

Jeanne wrote:
Sure they can use the "powers" they have also to benefit their dynasty/members and as Emp I would like to have the same abilities sometimes (when a member by accident leaves his/her links open and logg off I could enter the profile and turn them off before the member went negative - or has a "bad" SN - I could edit it) but who among you wouldn't do the same if you had the ability?

i'm sure you are joking... otherwise i hope you will not become an admin here :razz:

MUSHpark 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:43 pm   Re: GOODBYE

Top Cat wrote:
being honest and fair doesn't work here , it never did

LOL!

This comes from the first player to hit 500 average, by dynasty hopping. (Causing Stan to insert the rule resetting your clicks to 0 when you change dynasties.)

Yes, you're a shining example of being honest and fair.

Top Cat wrote:
but at least it use to be fun and you got your links clicked ... but most people care nothing about giving real clicks ... now with the endless pages of fake links

This is almost entirely a result of the current implementation of "happy hours". When the Mob started them, we showed 1 or 2 links for the whole hour. But then your former dynasty was the one who perfected the art of showing 9 extra useless links for 5 seconds.

I don't disagree with you at all. You're 100% correct. It's just really odd to hear you being the one complaining about it.

Top Cat wrote:
I'm leaving. For good.

Sorry to see you go. You were one of the first players here that I watched and wanted to grow up to be like. Back before you refused to talk to me.

jassej 
MMC UBC mod

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:55 pm   

MUSHpark wrote:
I'd be interested in hearing anyone cite any one specific example of Jay inappropriately banning an account. Just one, please.

That a admin is open to abuse and corruption must not be that he banned someone for nothing.
Is it enough to read and erase pm from members and so insulted people.
Interesting that he makes this to top members of the other dynasty, but not to its own members!
Or do you think this is ok?

Jeff 
Hardcore Gamer

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:24 pm   An apology, an opinion and a request

First I want to make public my response to thoughtful PM I recieved from TiddaMouse -

I appreciate you taking the time to write me!
We do not know each other and I took liberties with what I said regarding you.
I apologize for saying what amounted to a personal attack on you. I didn't intend to try to hurt you, only that you were here once, now you are not and people had no right to use your name to infer a slander on Marga, who is here daily trying her best to do right by her friends and allies.
I'm sorry.

Also, I am as guilty as anyone when making assumptions. And like anyone, I can be wrong in assuming they were talking about Marga. BUT, like everyone, I believe I am right. Only a fool or insane person believes something he knows is wrong. For the most part, I am neither. LOL!

Second -
I started this tread and poll to illustrate a problem I believe exists without accusing anyone.
Things have, as always, gone a bit too far!
It is perfectly fine that we may disagree on things. I don't expect agreement from anyone just as I don't expect to have to agree. The only thing REALLY required is respect for each other and our beliefs. That's all. Besides if everyone agreed on everything the world would be a dismal place. A wise man once said, "I never learned ANYTHING from someone that agreed with me."
I know that Jay has some very good points. I also know that he performs a necessary and thankless job very well. I simply pointed out a conflict of interest and never even said anything about ANYONE specifically. Given what I have actually said, why does EVERYONE "know" it was aimed at Jay? LOL!
Anyway...

Stan, my solution is that admins that run dynasties be careful and practice personal restraint when dealing with others. If that cannot be accomplished, then others need to have a recourse to voice grievances and be heard and duly considered. And if abuse of power or out right wrong-doing IS in fact uncovered, it is dealt with in a meaningful way.
I am NOT suggesting and have NEVER suggested anyone be demoted.

As the originator of this thread, I believe that everything constructive has been said.
I have said more than what I wanted to say. I believe it is better to disagree and debate openly, rather than behind closed doors. I don't want public finger-pointing and name calling. That is counter productive.
This thread has apparently gone way beyond my original desires to make people aware of a possible problem and possibly make an admin think about what they are doing and how it is percieved, BEFORE they do it when performing dynasty functions.

Once more, I (and possibly you) am a victim of my own desire when debating to "ga verder"!
LOL!
(I just LOVE the way that rolls off the tongue!)

It is MY wish that Yarold please close this thread, not delete it, just lock it from further entries.

Best regards!
Jeff
Last edited by Jeff on Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total  

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.