SWLE Forum Index
FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Register  Log in  Album  Download

Previous topic :: Next topic
ranks
Yarold 
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:59 am   ranks

if you could have option to change ranks names: 1) would you use it? 2) if yes, to what you 'd change them ?

DemonicJ 
Site Admin
The Mob Emperor

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:02 am   

Yes definately would use them.

think along the lines of military, political type terms

Commander in Chief
General
leitenant
sarge
private.

Maybe have the ranks fully user definable (rank names & rank abilities??)

PS, yes I would still like an extra rank added ;)

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”

Proudly the Emperor of The MOB. The oldest surviving & most successful large dynasty

malbus 
Hardcore Gamer

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:56 am   

Personally I think the samurai ranking names here are rather unique and help lend to the charm of the place.

Military ranking is so common among numerous games and for forum ranking based on posts that it gets a little boring in my opinion.

An extra rank I think would be good.

Ferrari 
Gamer God

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:55 am   

I like the ranks we have now but it would be nice if every rang has another color.

Ferrari

Morganza 
Hardcore Gamer

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:50 am   

Temp == peasant
Intern == daimyo
Staff == new rank
Leader == shogun
Manager == kampaku
CEO == Emperor

OK, maybe a bit too serious... even if you think of Dilbert.

Hm... how would all the emperors out their feel about being retitles to "Pointy-Haired Boss"? :-)

MUSHpark 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:00 am   

I think it would get really confusing if different people could style the ranks differently for themselves. You'd talk about kampaku and they would have no clue what you're talking about. Individuals can already use scripts (Greasemonkey, etc.) to change the ranks themselves if they care that much.

I agree with malbus that the "samurai" names are part of the history and should be kept, but perhaps we might add more ranks.

As long as you're digging through suggestion board, here are a few longstanding requests on the subject of ranks:

- allow emps to assign priveleges (accepting/promoting/clicking) to ranks or to individuals regardless of rank

- add another rank. With the change to make peasants not count to clicks, and with all the power given to shoguns (and trust required), it's hard to do much to separate the "better" daimyos from the rest. Potential ideas are tandai (above shogun, granted specific priveleges) shugo (below shogun, above daimyo) and taiko (honorary rank given to ex-emps or ex-kampakus, functionally equivalent to shogun)

DemonicJ 
Site Admin
The Mob Emperor

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:07 am   

MUSHpark wrote:
I think it would get really confusing if different people could style the ranks differently for themselves. You'd talk about kampaku and they would have no clue what you're talking about. Individuals can already use scripts (Greasemonkey, etc.) to change the ranks themselves if they care that much.

I agree with malbus that the "samurai" names are part of the history and should be kept, but perhaps we might add more ranks.

As long as you're digging through suggestion board, here are a few longstanding requests on the subject of ranks:

- allow emps to assign priveleges (accepting/promoting/clicking) to ranks or to individuals regardless of rank

- add another rank. With the change to make peasants not count to clicks, and with all the power given to shoguns (and trust required), it's hard to do much to separate the "better" daimyos from the rest. Potential ideas are tandai (above shogun, granted specific priveleges) shugo (below shogun, above daimyo) and taiko (honorary rank given to ex-emps or ex-kampakus, functionally equivalent to shogun)

Thats one mighty fine suggestion MUSHpark! Stay with the history, but have more ranks!

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”

Proudly the Emperor of The MOB. The oldest surviving & most successful large dynasty

Tsai 
Gamer God

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:41 pm   

I completely agree with MUSHpark.

- Don't give freedom to the names, as they are part of the Yarold identity and would get confusing if every dynasty would use different names
- Allow emps to determine the privileges for each rank
- Add another rank or two.

Alba 
Gamer God
Dark Side Empress

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:21 pm   

MUSHpark wrote:

I like this idea :wink:

Morganza 
Hardcore Gamer

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:18 pm   

In order to keep some semblance of order, for each rank, there would be:

Zero or more automatic privs
Zero or more unavailable privs
Zero or more optional privs that can be turned on or off by very high people with the "adjust privs" priv.

For example, imagine a dynasty that has a policy of setting everyone with a certain number of clicks on the day to a rank that does or does not count in the stats just before reset. The high ranks might want to allow some, but not all, people of a certain rank to promote/demote , without changing what external people see as those members' importance in the dynasty.

It also lets leadership reward people with a partial promotion to say "keep up the good work."

angil 
Gamer

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:54 am   

I really like Mushpark's idea. I feel there are some clickers that are way above and beyond others in their groups and they should be noticed. I might be easier for the Emp to assign different authorities to different ranks so others feel more involved.

Roman 
Gamer God

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:54 am   

Tsai wrote:
I completely agree with MUSHpark.

- Don't give freedom to the names, as they are part of the Yarold identity and would get confusing if every dynasty would use different names
- Allow emps to determine the privileges for each rank
- Add another rank or two.

100& fully agreed with all 3 points!!!

Yarold 
Site Admin

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:04 pm   

thanks, will do

theSpecial1 
Gamer

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:40 am   

Sounds perfect. I had never properly checked out the forums before and I find the ideas and questions I had been thinking for days are also being thought and discussed by others here!
who knew?!
I had also thought at least 1 new ranking should be implemented and more options for emperors to delegate duties. The japanese ranking system is very original and should def. be kept as is.

smurfettedoesnotshare 
Gamer

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:43 am   

This sounds like an amazing idea that will help iron out a few wrinkles. I agree that the Japanese Dynasty ranks should be kept exactly like they are.

TimeKung 
n00b

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:09 pm   

Morganza wrote:
Temp == peasant
Intern == daimyo
Staff == new rank
Leader == shogun
Manager == kampaku
CEO == Emperor

OK, maybe a bit too serious... even if you think of Dilbert.

Hm... how would all the emperors out their feel about being retitles to "Pointy-Haired Boss"? :-)

i agree with Morganza :grin:

iFly 
Gamer Deity

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:29 am   

I like the ranks as they are now, but I'd like to see another rank in between kampaku and shogun. Like MUSHpark's idea.

heini 
Gamer

Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:30 pm   

also totally agree to mushpark and the majority.

in fact if we had other ranktitles, the sites name samurai war link exchange would also make less sense...

with common ranks it would be a common war link exchange :P

also the point of confusion is right, if im talking about kampaku its cool just to say kampaku and not: kampaku, general, boss, consigliere, racing car, dinosaur, whatever... :P

*DLMulsow* 
n00b

Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:15 pm   

I like the rank order offered now, but I think abilities and privileges might be rearranged.

Also, I think there should be a way for the dynasty to be able to vote together to remove an inactive Emperor so that the dynasty isn't lost because of hierarchy failure.

dripquill 
Hardcore Gamer

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:43 pm   

I do like the idea of colors...they just add a little something different to the dynasty page.

And yes, I am voting for Mush's ideas too!

Reply to topic