FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Register  Log in  Album  Download

Previous topic :: Next topic
Closed by: Metalteo
Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:38 pm
dragcave
Koshka 
Gamer Deity

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:05 pm   

You have 1/2 an hour to respond to a HAT. If one opens up 50 timed pages and goes to bed, and one page turns into a HAT, you've missed it.

malbus 
Hardcore Gamer

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:59 pm   

Just tossing my 2-cents in here.

I wouldn't mind the timer so much for Dragon Cave is there weren't so many people with links to it. Last night I counted about 75 DC links on the dynasty page. I tried the idea of opening up a bunch of them and letting them sit until they went through. What ended up with was around 60 being counted and the rest "Sorry, user has no credits left". Besides, to me, it is just a royal pain having a bunch of tabs sitting there waiting to go through while still clicking on other links.

Maybe DC needed to upgrade itself before flooding the cave with special eggs. Anyone could have seen the potential server problem with how they distribute eggs there, especially with snaplinks being available (no wonder I never was able to get any of the good eggs as I didn't use snaplinks to grab a stack like others were doing).

At least with PP and other timed links, there aren't near as many of them to deal with as there are with the DC links.

Ladywizard 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:13 am   

only time snaplinks actually was any good for grabbing eggs was with the vampires... anything else you gotta half check description. Good advice on snagging? Flip your graphics off and control click but since he's really ticked at tabbed browsing that might be prob

mrpoey 
Hardcore Gamer

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:55 am   

Well, I don't have the time/can't be bothered to wait for the tuns of dragcave links with timer, so I turned off the care/HAT links till it's gone. hidden my link also, so only people I click can click me, so I dont lose all my credits, either way, my link is an outwar link, so I should be hiding it once I get my 10 clicks for Newb pwnage anyways.

Restless 
n00b

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:01 am   

Could we at least make it so that HATs won't come up on DC links? I opened a bunch of dc and other links (not with snaplinks) so I could open a new browser window and surf other things while waiting for the dc links to come up. I saw one of the tabs was a HAT so tried to go to that tab to put something in. Firefox froze/locked up and now my perfect CARE is gone.

People who've read the FAQ at Dragcave know that clicks on individual eggs are not what causes them to grow. It's the views. A dragon can grow into an adult with only 1 click as long as it has the necessary views. When you open a dc link and the eggs show up, it counts as a view so no matter if you let the page sit there without clicking anything on it, you still get the view. With that in mind, if I could open all those tabs and surf elsewhere while those pages still come up, people will still get their views needed.

Sci 
Hardcore Gamer

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:44 am   

my perfect care also was ruined by the dc cooldown, was unaware of the hat being able to come on waiting tabs and missed it I made 103 hat in a row and BANG! =[, also, not only do the come on waiting tabs but they come fast, 2 in five minuets

edit: and there went a third one
and again9:20 central time, 2h40m from reset

domesira 
Gamer

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:48 am   

Y'all need to stop misinterpreting what TJ said. Granted he edited his post, but he had two points against mass-clickers like SnapLinks.

The first, and largest issue, was server strain. People on fansites (not just Yarold's, but all sites that are basically hatcheries) show anywhere from 10-100's of dragons at once. Some people just snaplink the whole page and open all those links - sometimes upwards of 500+ links at the SAME TIME. That's requests for 500 pages being slammed into the DC server at the exact same instant. Multiplied by however many other users are doing the same thing at that time, and all the users online doing things. The timer, though a pain, is a good thing. And DC has upgraded its servers several times. I think maybe a 20 or 30 second timer on DC would be better than 40, though. Just my personal opinion.

The second, and lesser issue, was using SnapLinks to grab multiple eggs at one time. A lot of people used it during the vampire drops because all the eggs were the same thing. SnapLinks does NOT help you get any eggs during any other time! Seriously - in the time it takes you to click and drag the box over the egg link the egg is already gone. It's must faster to just click in the proper spot as fast as you can than to snaplink it. The only other time it would aid you is if you want to grab several eggs off the abandon page and don't care what they are - but so few people grab the commons on there that wouldn't matter. Either way, TJ considers using SnapLinks to grab multiple eggs cheating.

Those were his two issues. Using SL to grab eggs was the secondary issue. Unfortunately people latched onto that one and started screeching about it instead of paying attention to the larger issue of server strain.

Koshka 
Gamer Deity

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:04 am   

I'm sorry you don't understand the difference between what TJ asked of us and the problems that the timer here at Yarolds has caused for many folks.

They are two totally different things.

We can stop using snaplinks (as TJ requested) to grab eggs on the main and abandoned page. We can curtail our use of snaplinks to click DC links here at yarolds.

But the timer imposed by the Yarolds mods is causing problems for people especially regarding missed HATs. Perhaps not for you. But for others. A little empathy might be good.

Katewolven 
Gamer

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:16 am   

I understand the admins feel the need for there to be a timer on dragcave. I do I really do, trying to keep Yarold's running and not getting it banned from sites due to causing server issues is a HUGE thing. Among many other reasons I get all that.

HOWEVER as has been stated here several times, is there a way to prevent the wait timers from turning into HATS? I frequently open 20-30 pages then run off to do chores or run errands, when I return I check all the pages to make sure they have loaded and give credit where needed (even if it means refreshing several times), then close them. HATS prevent me from being able to do this. I simply do not have the time to sit and wait for them all to load with a 45 sec timer.

My other solution is maybe reduce the timer to say 5-10 secs between pages, this would also prevent the drag on the server while still giving some time in between pages/dragons loading. 45 secs between pages is just crazy on something that does not require a wait at all.

kito 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:36 am   

Katewolven wrote:

My other solution is maybe reduce the timer to say 5-10 secs between pages, this would also prevent the drag on the server while still giving some time in between pages/dragons loading. 45 secs between pages is just crazy on something that does not require a wait at all.

PLEASE!

domesira 
Gamer

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:41 am   

Koshka wrote:
I'm sorry you don't understand the difference between what TJ asked of us and the problems that the timer here at Yarolds has caused for many folks.

They are two totally different things.

We can stop using snaplinks (as TJ requested) to grab eggs on the main and abandoned page. We can curtail our use of snaplinks to click DC links here at yarolds.

But the timer imposed by the Yarolds mods is causing problems for people especially regarding missed HATs. Perhaps not for you. But for others. A little empathy might be good.

Actually I understood that perfectly. I've had quite a few HATs from the DC wait links myself, and as I stated, I think a shorter wait time would be better. What I was clarifying was the apparent confusion that people have about WHY TJ requested we stop using SnapLinks (and I also stated that it doesn't help that he edited his post because of people going overboard in the thread). I see several posts trying to make it out that the ONLY reason was because people were using it to grab eggs on the main page and abandon page, when that was only the secondary reason. I do have empathy for the people that can't spend a lot of time waiting, or get their CARE messed up. But I also have empathy for all the DC users and TJ that have to deal with the lag caused by people using SnapLinks to open hundreds of DC links simultaneously.

Darrel 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:09 am   

I agree!if the timer be set to 20 - 30 seconds, it would be better

Solrayne 
Gamer Deity

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:19 pm   

Actually, doesn't it seem that now the timer is either gone now, or or only there for just a couple seconds? Not sure if I am only one noticing this now or not....

Metalteo 
Site Admin

Helped: 14 times
Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:25 pm   

Solrayne wrote:
Actually, doesn't it seem that now the timer is either gone now, or or only there for just a couple seconds? Not sure if I am only one noticing this now or not....

Timers are shorter now.

Solrayne 
Gamer Deity

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:51 pm   

Metalteo wrote:
Solrayne wrote:

Timers are shorter now.

Ahh, ok, that's better then. For a short time they seemed gone, the just a little while ago I thought I saw a couple again...but they were gone much sooner. :)

Thanks for that, so much better to deal witn now. :)

Katewolven 
Gamer

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:51 pm   

Quote:
Timers are shorter now.

Thanks for that! It makes life so much easier!

ratchet freak 
Gamer Deity

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:50 pm   

or we could realize that dragcave links are clicklists (each view link is a separate link to click and each gives a reward to something different) and (IMO) ban them from swle as they should

I refuse to click the view links simply because of that fact

engelina 
Gamer God

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:08 pm   

just viewing the scroll page already gives each dragon a view and unique view. clicking view is optional. it does help the dragons grow a bit faster if they have clicks, which is why i try to click the view button on each dragon i see, but it is optional.

No rules, although for our allies i ask to please show a link in dynasty.

L6313 
Hardcore Gamer

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:05 pm   

I personally don't mind the timers. I don't mind the hats either. I am having the problem of the timers freezing up so that I have to go back and refresh every page link for the DC so they will load. I am getting a lot of "link already visiied" when the link hasn't already been visited. Dunno why but thats the only issues I seem to have comming up.
Otherwise, like I said, I have no reason to complain. The timers all run down while I click Minicity links anyways...and I check for HATS so I can click them. Even with several DC links open I can seem to notice the HATS provided I am not ignoring my computer.

Sorry for everyone who is feeling that the timers on the DC links is such a big issue.

ratchet freak 
Gamer Deity

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:10 pm   

if the view links are optional dragcave shouldn't be a care link

cause IMO it's either a CARE link with a click list or not a CARE link at all

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.