SWLE Forum Index
FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Register  Log in  Album  Download

Previous topic :: Next topic
Amount of active links depending on credits owned.
Blurk 
Gamer

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:22 am   Amount of active links depending on credits owned.

One of the things I find most annoying is the 'user has no more credits' page :evil: . And just before clicking you could see that this user had 10 links set up in his profile :roll: . It looks to me that because of the new possibility to have more than 3 links the list of <-1> users is growing (in history for sure)

I think it would be a good idea to make the amount of possible active links dependable on the amount of owned credits.

For instance, you can activate a second link only when you have more than 50 credits, a third when you have more than 100, a fourth when you have more then 200 and so on.
Would be great too if this was dynamic. The user chooses the links he wants to have active, but 'the system' decides the actual amount of shown links.

What do you think?

kito 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:22 pm   

I like that idea a lot

Wolverines
Gamer God

Helped: 1
Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:40 am   

i have seen people with over 20 links in profiles...i was think of some type of system to award people maybe this is idea....the more link you can post by the credits you have

1 link = more than zero credits
2 links = more than 200
3 links = more than 400
4 links = more than 1000
5 links = more than 2000
6 links = more than 4000
7 links = more than 6000
8 links = more than 7000
9 links = more than 8000
10 links = more than 10,000
then every addition link =20,000

really how many people need to show that many anyways?

Ferrari 
Gamer God

Helped: 2 times
Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:24 am   

Blurk great idea :!:

phlaim 
Hardcore Gamer

Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:28 am   

Great idea. Fully supported!

ppj2005 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:57 am   

I think if a person has his own credits, has earned his own credits or purchased his own credits, you have no right to decide when, where or how he will distribute them.

Ferrari 
Gamer God

Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:07 am   

Wolverines wrote:
i have seen people with over 20 links in profiles...i was think of some type of system to award people maybe this is idea....the more link you can post by the credits you have

1 link = more than zero credits
2 links = more than 200
3 links = more than 400
4 links = more than 1000
5 links = more than 2000
6 links = more than 4000
7 links = more than 6000
8 links = more than 7000
9 links = more than 8000
10 links = more than 10,000
then every addition link =20,000

really how many people need to show that many anyways?

[do not by-pass the word filter with disallowed words in an image, thank you very much. you've been warned ]
Last edited by Metalteo on Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total  

Blurk 
Gamer

Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:11 am   

ppj2005 wrote:
I think if a person has his own credits, has earned his own credits or purchased his own credits, you have no right to decide when, where or how he will distribute them.

On one level I fully agree with that. The problem is that if someone has a lot of links, they will all show up as soon as he has more than <-1> credits (even at 0 credits)

A lot of the 100+ members online will try to 'snaplink' them resulting in a lot of useless tabs and frustration (Ok, maybe only me :wink: )

I think I am an average clicker. With 2 links the amount of credits I own stay more or less the same. I don't believe anyone can click enough for 20 links.

If you have a lot of credits (maybe purchased them) you surely can have all the links you want and your credits will disappear like snow in the Sahara desert :mrgreen: .

stompi 
Gamer Deity

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:55 pm   

I also wanted to suggest a thing to avoid these "Sorry, this user doesn't have any credit left." messages.

My suggestion is to allow clicking on a link till it has -20 Credits, but show it only till it has 0 Credits.
So it should be rare, that you click on a link and get the above message and if this user wants his link to be shown again, he has to get 21 Credits first to come above 0.

jennielynn 
Gamer God
Trying My Best

Helped: 4 times
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:14 pm   

stompi wrote:
I also wanted to suggest a thing to avoid these "Sorry, this user doesn't have any credit left." messages.

My suggestion is to allow clicking on a link till it has -20 Credits, but show it only till it has 0 Credits.
So it should be rare, that you click on a link and get the above message and if this user wants his link to be shown again, he has to get 21 Credits first to come above 0.

That's a good idea, however, what about the links that show at 0 credits, and the user has 30 links. Also, if you force them to get to 1 credit before their link is shown, that's a lot of extra checking in the system. First they have to check their credit balance. Then if it's below 0, they have to check if the balance is going up or down... I don't imagine that being very easy or reliable.

Oh wait... Maybe I was misthinking this. Still only show the link at 0+ but let it count no matter what? One issue I see is that 10 links will display but I see the credit balance at 0. I wonder why these aren't filtered out of the list.

And then maybe we should only show the number of links based on their balance, but that still doesn't help, because someone else could come along and click this person while you have the page loaded, and then you load it and their balance is down. Meh...

stompi 
Gamer Deity

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:56 pm   

balance? I thought of an easy method, maybe this will make it more clear:

now:
He has 1 credit: link is shown and gives you credits
He has 0 credit: link is shown and gives you credits
He has -1 credit: link is not shown, but if you see it because you loaded the page as he had more than -1 credit, you will not get the credit, but you have made the click and he could have one more inhabitant for the town for example.

suggestion:
He has 1 credit: link is shown and gives you credits
He has 0 credit: link is not shown, but gives you credits, if you see it because you loaded the site as he had credits.
He has less than (for example) -20 credit: link is not shown and gives you no credits

The most pages with "user has no credits left" come from normal links. Only some show really many links and with this system they would also see, that they need to click to show them, as they have to do 20 clicks, after they were shown. Because as you said, many will click their links.
User with a normal amount of shown links would maybe come to -1 till -5. No loss for them, as they got the clicks to their webgames and no loss for the user that clicked, as he gets the award for it.

-20 is only an example, you could also make -50, though i think -50 is a bit high. Normally you would not need this limit at all, but if someone has 10+ links shown, and before the credits are below 1, 10 users have loaded the page, than he would have -100 and sometime there will be less credits on yarolds.

The programming should not make too much problems (in theory ;) ):
The decission, if a link is shown at main for example will be nearly the same:
If he has credits, the link will be shown. So all who load while he has credits, will see the link
The decission, if you get the credit or an error page will only ask, if he has below -20 credits instead of -1 credits.

Metalteo 
Site Admin

Helped: 14 times
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:47 pm   

I would like to add, that user can no longer post the same link more then once in their profile. This has been done to prevent users to waste all their credits on them.
I've removing links from none VIP users that had 12+ of them.

I don't see a problem with users having different links in their profile when low on credits aslong as they receive reall clicks on them.

Good suggestion people, keep them coming. :)

stompi 
Gamer Deity

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:29 pm   

Yes the number of links is also no problem for me when they have low credits. Their decision if they want only a few minutes with credits per day ;)

But I think it would be better if you get the credit, when you click their link. The "work" is done and I don´t mind if some members get clicks even if they are (light) in negative credits.

Ehryn 
Gamer God

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:47 pm   

I can sometimes start the day with 500+ credits (without donating, just clicking) but by halfway through the day I'm struggling to stay above -1 :( I know I have three (or four? not sure right now) links in my profile, but this happens even when I'm only on one link. I even remove my links from main AND dynasty so they're not being shown just so I have one link to click but no others and I STILL end up in negative credits.

I click usually over 500+ links a day. Without donating, how am I to keep my head above water without hiding my links? Then, to penalise me because there are more users clicking my link than I see to click, doesn't seem very fair to me.

I think it's an excellent idea, but just needs a little more thought...

(sorry if this has been said before)

Also, I snaplink everyone's links, and I do get a lot of 'Sorry this user has no credit left' messages, but I just close them >.> It's disappointing, but not the end of the world.

jennielynn 
Gamer God
Trying My Best

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:30 pm   

Ehryn wrote:
I can sometimes start the day with 500+ credits (without donating, just clicking) but by halfway through the day I'm struggling to stay above -1 :( I know I have three (or four? not sure right now) links in my profile, but this happens even when I'm only on one link. I even remove my links from main AND dynasty so they're not being shown just so I have one link to click but no others and I STILL end up in negative credits.

I click usually over 500+ links a day. Without donating, how am I to keep my head above water without hiding my links? Then, to penalise me because there are more users clicking my link than I see to click, doesn't seem very fair to me.

I think it's an excellent idea, but just needs a little more thought...

(sorry if this has been said before)

Also, I snaplink everyone's links, and I do get a lot of 'Sorry this user has no credit left' messages, but I just close them >.> It's disappointing, but not the end of the world.

FYI, all of your link can still be shown in your history, so they'll still get clicks, even if you hide from main and dynasty. The only way to ensure that you don't get clicks for a link at all is to totally remove it. Or become VIP so you can hide from the dynasty.

Ehryn 
Gamer God

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:14 pm   

Yeah, I wondered if that was the case. Fortunately, I came into a little money today ( ;) ) so I donated and became a VIP so they're all hidden and I have plenty of credits as a buffer. The history showing thing kinda messed me up a few times though ^^; Until I figured out that was the problem :lol:

Thanks for the advice! :D

jennielynn 
Gamer God
Trying My Best

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:25 pm   

Ehryn wrote:
Yeah, I wondered if that was the case. Fortunately, I came into a little money today ( ;) ) so I donated and became a VIP so they're all hidden and I have plenty of credits as a buffer. The history showing thing kinda messed me up a few times though ^^; Until I figured out that was the problem :lol:

Thanks for the advice! :D

lol I saw that star when I refreshed my page, and I wondered if you'd just done it as a result of my post.

You're quite welcome, and enjoy your new toys. :)

ThePriest 
Gamer Deity

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:12 pm   

i would like to "revive" this post and mention that i fully support the idea. And i like Wolverine's chart

Yarold 
Site Admin

Helped: 12 times
Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:56 pm   

Quote:

added that one

stompi 
Gamer Deity

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:33 pm   

Reply to topic