SWLE Forum Index
FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Register  Log in  Album  Download

Previous topic :: Next topic
FYI: AVG 8.0 reports Thread with www.weedwar.nl links!
r0yberg 
Hardcore Gamer

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:16 pm   FYI: AVG 8.0 reports Thread with www.weedwar.nl links!

When I click a user's www.weedwar.nl link in Firefox, with AVG 8.0 (latest definition), I get a pop-up from AVG identifying a threat:

"Threat name: Virus identified JS/Psyme.OV"

Unfortunately, there is no information about this on AVG's site in their "Virus Encyclopedia" - going to www.weedwar.nl does not trigger this, but the www.weedwar.nl/click.php?x=username link does. I'm betting this is a false positive, as there is no sign of problems when I searched the web for any info.

My kids recently had an issue with AVG 8.0 and a false positive with their ToonTown Online launcher, as well. Not sure what Grisoft is up to, but two false positives in a month are 2 more than what I used to get! I am using the 3-license pack, not the free version of AVG 8.

Hope this helps anyone.

-r0yberg

CrazyClicker41 
Hardcore Gamer

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:56 pm   

hi...

i have contact the admin of weedwar and he says thats it is youre virus warning system that is having a virus so not weedwar buth youre virussyteem..

greetz bobby

r0yberg 
Hardcore Gamer

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:26 pm   

CrazyClicker41 wrote:
hi...

i have contact the admin of weedwar and he says thats it is youre virus warning system that is having a virus so not weedwar buth youre virussyteem..

greetz bobby

Exactly why I assumed it was a false positive and why I blamed AVG in my post. I added this thread in case anyone else running AVG version 8 saw this and was curious.

-r0y

Metalteo 
Site Admin

Helped: 14 times
Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:22 am   

I've tried to find infomation for JS/Psyme.OV, but there's not much to find out about it.
This could be a false alarm, but we did have problems with this domain before. I'll keep an eye on it.

klausprell 
n00b

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:07 am   

This warning doesn't appear only for AVG. I have Norton SecSuite and it detecs two variants: Psyme.OV and Psyme.OW. It's impossible that two different AV's have the same flaw in their av systems!

Reply to topic