SWLE Forum Index
FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Register  Log in  Album  Download

Previous topic :: Next topic
StarBattle pop-up
rhicat 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:35 pm   StarBattle pop-up

Sometimes when I click a StarBattle link, a very annoying pop-up happens that takes me away from my main tab. Any suggestions on how I can stop it? I'm using Firefox 3.0 with pop-up blocking turned on.

Gail 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:52 pm   

Yes, I have the same problem and it is very annoying. I run my spy ware afterwards to delete the spy cookies from that link.

We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another. ~Luciano de Crescenzo

Crocmeister 
Gamer Deity

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:15 pm   

Same thing here!

gamamew 
Hardcore Gamer

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:27 am   

It's pretty annoying. I usually left my FF to fully load all tabs for about a minute or half-minute, continue using another program and suddenly that annoying pop-up appears :evil:

Is there another way rather than editing my host file or the DNS Resolve Table of my router?

Ehryn 
Gamer God

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:13 am   

Yes, I also get this pop up and it's EXTREMELY ANNOYING.

smurfettedoesnotshare 
Gamer

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:57 am   

Ugh, I have had the same problem since the first one I clicked, and still haven't been able to find a solution. It's so annoying.

caramba2654 
Hardcore Gamer

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:17 pm   

Yarolds or someone else should contact Star Battle owner and ask gently to turn off that pop-up.

Ehryn 
Gamer God

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:02 pm   

Good idea caramba - lemme know how you get on ^_^

engelina 
Gamer God

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:24 am   

that popup is annoying, yes.. moreso, because (at least for me) it focuses the browser on the tab it opened from. and often while i am reading something else, and do not want to go to that tab..

if anyone finds a solution, i will be happy to hear it!

No rules, although for our allies i ask to please show a link in dynasty.

DemonicJ 
Site Admin
The Mob Emperor

Helped: 9 times
Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:32 am   

I have spoken with Stan about removing this link from the site or alternatively making it a 24 hour link, as thats what the popup is about. He will decide what to do about it & make the changes as necessary

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”

Proudly the Emperor of The MOB. The oldest surviving & most successful large dynasty

Solrayne 
Gamer Deity

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:57 pm   

Don't remove the link from the site...people that use it, use it here for a reason, y'know....

I fond it's annoying too...but An option to block the pop-up, or the whole link, (or skip it), something like that, would be fine instead for those that want to use it..

rhicat 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:55 pm   

Thanks DJ & Stan.

Sorry Solrayne, but searching for one link out of the hundred that I snaplink is impossible. And it seems that more people are complaining about the pop-up than actually display the link.

I hope Stan will find a solution that makes us all happy.

Solrayne 
Gamer Deity

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:27 pm   

I would think there should be some way to just script something that prevents the re-direction to the new tab...or a selectable option to block display of the link itself (something like the option for "adult" links). There many not be many right now, but it has been picking up over time, and more new ones showing up as it gets discovered by other people.

Believe me, I find the re-direction annoying as much as anyone else. I end up cursing everytime it does that, when I snap a row of links here or at Hydra, LOL. I'm just hoping some sort of "middle ground" solution can be reached or created....without resorting to complete dis-allowment of the link at the site.

In any event, I've just checked their Forums and the Developer of the Starbattle game (site) has just recently been made aware of this being considered a problem for some places. I think he just has to get the right description of the problem (so he understands that just the redirection to the new tab needs to be eliminated), and he would try to resolve it. I don't think he understood it from the first person that brought the issue to his attention....

As a result, and in an effort to try and get a suitable resolution to all of this, I've also just added to that request and explanation of the problem, and suggested that he just make the link work like any other normal link when someone clicks the middle mouse button.... a new tab opens...but without automaticly taking people TO that new tab. I'm hoping this time he will understand the added description and realize he just has to remove or prevent the re-direct script.

Rina11 
n00b

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:29 am   

yeah its very annoying and almost freeze my PC each time it pops up ><

brandy 
Gamer

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:01 pm   

Solrayne wrote:
As a result, and in an effort to try and get a suitable resolution to all of this, I've also just added to that request and explanation of the problem, and suggested that he just make the link work like any other normal link when someone clicks the middle mouse button.... a new tab opens...but without automaticly taking people TO that new tab. I'm hoping this time he will understand the added description and realize he just has to remove or prevent the re-direct script.

I just wasted some time unsuccessfully messing with a few script blockers because this popup is really starting to irritate me. Any response from the site owner about this nuissance?

Reply to topic