SWLE Forum Index
FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Register  Log in  Album  Download

Previous topic :: Next topic
VACATION FOR ALL
activist 
Gamer Deity

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:12 am   

Do not throw stones when you live in a greenhouse. Best Quote 'Activist 2008' I get 100 credits.

DashaBlade 
Gamer Deity

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:16 am   

I like the idea of an optional vacation, myself - I'm not going out of town for Christmas or New Year's since all my family lives within a half a mile from me, so I'll be on the site (though probably not as much) on those days.

However, it'd be totally awesome if I could give myself a day of vacation when I get a bad migraine and looking at a monitor makes my eyes water. Or if I could just say, on some random day in mid-February, "Looks like a good day to play Sims 2 for 20 hours!" or whatever. :wink:

I'm not complaining, though, because as it is, on days like that I just do the best I can with clicking as early as I can, and then call it quits until the next reset. It would have been cool to be able to set myself on break when we got a hurricane that I knew in advance would knock our power out for at least a week, but as I was more worried about heating up canned goods on a homemade barbecue pit than I was about my click average... :P

Patone 
Hardcore Gamer

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:55 am   

DemonicJ wrote:
I dont however support a mandatory break as was earlier suggested.

Yeah, a mandatory break would be bad for those who don't break.

Also, shutting down the site on the holidays would be bad for most games; Dragon Cave for example, some eggs can die in 2-3 days without clicks.

The idea of optional vacation is the best one.

DashaBlade wrote:
"Looks like a good day to play Sims 2 for 20 hours!" or whatever.

My personal record is 18 and a half hour.

DemonicJ 
Site Admin
The Mob Emperor

Helped: 9 times
Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:59 am   

activist wrote:
Do not throw stones when you live in a greenhouse. Best Quote 'Activist 2008' I get 100 credits.

Yes mate keep that in mind next time hey?

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”

Proudly the Emperor of The MOB. The oldest surviving & most successful large dynasty

activist 
Gamer Deity

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:54 pm   

I will keep it in mind=but i am not your mate=and well you know it.

PROUD EX MEMBER OF NET-FREAKS ''''FIRST DYNASTY TO 500'''''
''''FIRST DYNASTY TO 500'''''
''''FIVE HUNDRED- THE 1st- '''''

Metalteo 
Site Admin

Helped: 14 times
Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:26 pm   

activist wrote:
I will keep it in mind=but i am not your mate=and well you know it.

PROUD EX MEMBER OF NET-FREAKS ''''FIRST DYNASTY TO 500'''''
''''FIRST DYNASTY TO 500'''''
''''FIVE HUNDRED- THE 1st- '''''

Stay on topic.

this post is classes as spam and you've received a warning for spamming the forums.

MUSHpark 
Gamer Legend

Helped: 1
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:06 am   Re: VACATION FOR ALL

minh-phuoc wrote:
I wonder if admins can set the vacation for everyone (for example 2 days for Christmas and 2 days for New Years at least) and in these days the ave are frozen, no moving up and no drop too.

I am opposed to picking special days such as Christmas or New Years for vacations.

I will be working and clicking on those days. I already took my winter holiday and my average/credits suffered for it. Not everyone celebrates Christmas. Many celebrate other winter holidays, such as:
- Midwinter (Dec 21-22)
- Hanukkah (Dec 22-29)
- Eid (Dec 8-11)
- Kwanzaa (Dec 26-Jan 1)

Plus there are other major holidays throughout the year. As others have posted, if you celebrate one, you should celebrate them all. This will get downright silly.

There is already a suggestion on the board for individual members to "freeze" their averages for a vacation. This should be implemented and would be perfectly fine for people to use during the coming winter holidays.

If Yarold wants to give everyone a bunch of credits for Christmas (as happens every couple of months anyway) that seems great.

If no change is implemented, and if you are so concerned about your average that you sacrifice time with your family and friends, then you probably should reevaluate your priorities in life.

DashaBlade 
Gamer Deity

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:56 am   Re: VACATION FOR ALL

MUSHpark wrote:
If no change is implemented, and if you are so concerned about your average that you sacrifice time with your family and friends, then you probably should reevaluate your priorities in life.

Quoted for absolute truth.

I think this site is great, I like the folks in my dynasty and a lot of folks not in my dynasty too, I enjoy finding new games when people post their links... but I still hug my kids and smooch my husband and feed my cats every day. I do like the idea of vacation options (in fact, I could swear I started a topic about it a few months ago), but like you said, not everyone celebrates Christmas, and not everyone who does celebrates it the same way, either.

Setting our own vacations or holidays would be the best solution, but I don't really know how easy that would be to set up and code, so if it doesn't happen, I'm not going to be crying in my pillow over it. :razz:

Metalteo 
Site Admin

Helped: 14 times
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:49 am   

What I still don't understand, is what the purpose of an holiday mode would be.

If you're afraid losing your credits, all you need to do is hide your link.

If this is only about personal averages. An average is no longer an average when you can freeze it on bad clicking days.

DashaBlade 
Gamer Deity

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:03 pm   

Hiding links is okay for those of us who are VIPs, but for those who aren't, their links will still show up for 24 hours in history - and since most non-VIPs don't have massive numbers of credits to begin with, they'll come back to a negative balance anyway.

I guess if there's no vacation option, a non-VIP's best bet would be to set their link to dynasty only, and then leave their dynasty if they're expecting to be gone for very long - at least then they might have a few credits left when they came back, maybe.

Ehryn 
Gamer God

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:21 pm   

filmore wrote:
Ehryn wrote:
filmore, what exactly is that supposed to mean? If my post is confusing, say so and I'll try and make it clearer, or are you just being facetious?

I click links in my "free" time.. I'm not seeing it as a job as I already have one full-time one and I do not expect to have a "day's off" at a links-exchange site.

Well gosh, I apologise that my terminology irked you :roll: I was merely offering a suggestion for a solution, there's no need to get snippy about it. I wasn't the one who made the thread, I only answered it. I used the term 'vacation' because that's how it's referred to in the system I was basing my suggestion on - if that bothers you, then I apologise.

~ ~ ~

For the record; I don't really care if this is implemented or not, I was only trying to help. I won't bother in future, since the only thing that happens whenever I do is people get snappy.

Wolverines
Gamer God

Helped: 1
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:57 am   

Metalteo wrote:
What I still don't understand, is what the purpose of an holiday mode would be.

If you're afraid losing your credits, all you need to do is hide your link.

If this is only about personal averages. An average is no longer an average when you can freeze it on bad clicking days.

i agree 100% we have went through christmas and newyears before with no problems
Quote:

Hiding links is okay for those of us who are VIPs, but for those who aren't, their links will still show up for 24 hours in history - and since most non-VIPs don't have massive numbers of credits to begin with, they'll come back to a negative balance anyway.

I guess if there's no vacation option, a non-VIP's best bet would be to set their link to dynasty only, and then leave their dynasty if they're expecting to be gone for very long - at least then they might have a few credits left when they came back, maybe.
if they leave dynasty then they only get clicked from history when they click people if they dont click then no one clicks them so they wont lose credits

kidoku 
n00b

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:54 pm   

i love vacation :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

scarlete 
Gamer Deity

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:46 pm   

DashaBlade wrote:

Not to mention that hiding links in dynasty is generally considered a no-no and will get you kicked.

I think the majority agrees with it, but that could be my imagination.

If vacation days could be implemented, that would be great too. Or optional for those days. Though it's probably a little late to try working on such a code.

As far as worrying about dragon cave etc, there are other places to put your eggs and hatchlings, so that really shouldn't be a concern.

follydoll 
Gamer

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:55 pm   

How many Emperors are really so hyped up on competitive averages that they are going to freak out and kick someone whose average drops a few points or who hits negatives on a holiday?

Am I happy seeing my average rise each day? Yep.

Am I bummed when I log in and see that I misjudged how many credits I needed to stay positive? Yep.

Should I really be *that* worried if I get out of whack here because real life comes first? Heck no!

Everyone relax and enjoy themselves.

On a more serious note regarding a voluntary vacation mode, you would need to set a limit on the number of days in a given period that someone could opt for vacation. While a vacation mode would be a nice option for some, permanent or sporadic vacations could be a problem for dynasties.

I played an interesting real time strategy game that allowed for vacation modes. When it was first implemented we had issues in a lot of kingdoms with people occupying a space in a given kingdom but providing nothing as people would go into permanent vacation mode. That lead to Monarch's being able to cancel vacation modes after ten days of vacation time. That might not be a problem here as an emperor should have notification from a member that they are entering vacation mode and how long they intend to stay that way.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die." ~Roy Batty

Ladywizard 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:56 pm   

Only vacation mode I've seen that I consider half fair and dunno remember where it was but it completely locked you outta your account for x number of days(min 3) It basically complete froze the account nothing good happening nothing bad happening and you literally couldn't log in at the time doubt would work here though

Patone 
Hardcore Gamer

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:20 am   

Metalteo wrote:
An average is no longer an average when you can freeze it on bad clicking days.

Sure, but if you waste your vacation average-freezing days on bad clicking days you will have no vacation days to spend on real vacation.

Ladywizard wrote:
Only vacation mode I've seen that I consider half fair and dunno remember where it was but it completely locked you outta your account for x number of days(min 3) It basically complete froze the account nothing good happening nothing bad happening and you literally couldn't log in at the time doubt would work here though

It would be very bad for people who are still up and clicking on holidays. You can and you want to gain some credits and increase your ave, but locked holiday mode won't let you :roll:

Reply to topic