FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Register  Log in  Album  Download

Previous topic :: Next topic
Closed by: Metalteo
Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:38 pm
dragcave
Koshka 
Gamer Deity

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:18 pm   

Now that the Autumn Egg frenzy seems to have died down, I hope the ADMINS will consider removing the timer. Our dynasty has lost some wonderful allies for no apparent reason other than the problems created by the DC Timer.

ADMINS: Please consider taking it off and seeing how things go now.

xKagex 
Hardcore Gamer

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:52 pm   

I'd also like to say that it seems that TJ has sped up what may have seemed to be the lag/speed problem. And now has a server in the works (which may be overkill for now but it's been bought so...).

This doesn't get rid of the snaplinks issue, but it doesn't seem that the current timer helps much. Maybe a lower time if it is an issue?

Ladywizard 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:07 pm   

timer already got lowered to 15 seconds which was actually faster than the pages were loading

DemonicJ 
Site Admin
The Mob Emperor

Helped: 9 times
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:49 pm   

Koshka wrote:
Now that the Autumn Egg frenzy seems to have died down, I hope the ADMINS will consider removing the timer. Our dynasty has lost some wonderful allies for no apparent reason other than the problems created by the DC Timer.

ADMINS: Please consider taking it off and seeing how things go now.

They told you they dropped you because of the timer?

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”

Proudly the Emperor of The MOB. The oldest surviving & most successful large dynasty

Koshka 
Gamer Deity

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:33 am   

They didn't say that, per se, no.

Godafoss 
Gamer Deity

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:30 pm   

I hope all the problems will be fixed soon and the timer can be removed, because I click 50+ links less than without the timer now.

No complaining from over here though, what needs to be done, needs to be done, even if it's not so useful for yourself, it still may be useful for others.

What I'm saying: I don't like the timer, but you won't hear me complaining if the timer is indeed neccesary.

Ehryn 
Gamer God

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:54 pm   

Ok, I've actually gone and asked at the Dragon Cave forum (something I'm astonished no-one thought of sooner :roll: ) and the response I got was very clear:

The reason TJ doesn't want people using snaplinks is because it creates a MASSIVE drain on the server, slowing everything down for everyone and causing problems.

Basically, at the moment there's nothing in place to STOP people using snaplinks, but TJ is working on a code to prevent it.

Therefore, if the timer is removed you will still be unable to use snaplinks once this goes into place.

So a 15 second timer is nothing, since it means you are still able to open the number of tabs, they just don't all load immediately. I'm still hoping for a direct answer from TJ, but for now - I suggest we all just get on with it, and I sincerely hope that the admins of Yarolds keep the timer until such time as it is no longer necessary.

rhicat 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:17 pm   

Thanks for investigating, Ehryn.

If I'm understanding the situation correctly, we will still be able to use Snaplinks on Yarolds for links but ctrl-click to view the dragons on the scrolls. Yes? Unless TJ bans Yarolds which I think is very unlikely. Compared to the popular incubator sites, Yarold's traffic is minimal. I tried using one of the fansites and nearly lost five eggs/hatchlings from the insane amount of views! :shock:

For the record, I had five tabs open with DC links just now. One opened immediately, two opened after one round of timer (which is now 25 sec), two opened after a second round of timer. However only three of the five pages loaded properly. Two were blank pages. But it was near the hour drop so I guess that isn't a bad ratio.

Ehryn 
Gamer God

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:09 pm   

Yeah, if you want to view the dragons on the scrolls you have to load each one individually without snaplinking them as otherwise you're still contributing to the server drain :) I'm guessing ctrl+click is fine as long as you don't load them all too quickly ^^

When I snaplink Yarolds links the majority of the dragon cave links open fine, and as long as I clear my cache or re start firefox from time to time I don't have any problems at all - it's certainly nothing to do with the timer since it's not something that's isolated to DC links for me.

evangeline5432 
Gamer

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:02 pm   Re: dragcave

• Last I checked it was 20sec long. It needs to be taken off!!! •

PaiGow 
Gamer Legend

Helped: 1
Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:19 am   

So how do I return visits to Dragon Cave full of adults, none of which bump view count when I click them ?

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.