SWLE Forum Index
FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Register  Log in  Album  Download

Previous topic :: Next topic
Language Spoken/Understood on the Sumup page
sebastopol-ca 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:37 pm   Language Spoken/Understood on the Sumup page

The Sumup page has become a great tool for all of us in helping new ( and old ) members of our dynasty. But there is a communication glitch at times. Though a lot of folks understand more than one language, and attempts can be made with a online translation site( though it really gets garbled up most times )
I was thinking of having in ones profile a choice of what language do you speak, and what other second language you may understand.

I think adding this on, would improve the communication with dynasty members, and perhaps help in seeing less <-1> or <none> or <hidden> in the exchange. I am attempting a mail to all of my members now , asking what language do you speak and what 2nd do you understand, all translated into about 25 different languages, a lot of work, a lot of mail, some drain on bandwidth? Maybe not, but lets help get Yarolds into a truly World Wide user friendly exchange by letting us post in our Sumup or Profile what we speak and what we can understand.

I apologize if this issue has been addressed before, could not find it in search....and if it has been, well lets bring it up again for the benefit of the entire exchange.

Thank you Admins for considering this simple request.

deej / shogun
The Untouchables

filmore 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:46 pm   Re: Language Spoken/Understood on the Sumup page

sebastopol-ca wrote:
The Sumup page has become a great tool for all of us in helping new ( and old ) members of our dynasty. But there is a communication glitch at times. Though a lot of folks understand more than one language, and attempts can be made with a online translation site( though it really gets garbled up most times )
I was thinking of having in ones profile a choice of what language do you speak, and what other second language you may understand.

I think adding this on, would improve the communication with dynasty members, and perhaps help in seeing less <-1> or <none> or <hidden> in the exchange. I am attempting a mail to all of my members now , asking what language do you speak and what 2nd do you understand, all translated into about 25 different languages, a lot of work, a lot of mail, some drain on bandwidth? Maybe not, but lets help get Yarolds into a truly World Wide user friendly exchange by letting us post in our Sumup or Profile what we speak and what we can understand.

I apologize if this issue has been addressed before, could not find it in search....and if it has been, well lets bring it up again for the benefit of the entire exchange.

Thank you Admins for considering this simple request.

deej / shogun
The Untouchables

There should be a "what languages do you speak" option.. we have the same problem in our dynasty.. we adress people in English, turns out that they do not speak/understand English.. we sort of fixed the problem with having members who speak their language and are "used" as interpretors..

sebastopol-ca 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:46 pm   

Filmore :mrgreen:

its still an English only board (except for the how too guides)
Last edited by DemonicJ on Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:21 am; edited 1 time in total  

filmore 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:21 pm   

sebastopol-ca wrote:

I know that.. I was thinking of the possibility of showing what language(s) you speak in your sum-up .. so that we can mail people in their own (not English) language when there are problems.. sebastopol-ca was meaning that too..

I'll give you an example:

Someone in our guild had (a) hidden link(s), was online, got several mails (in English) but did not respond to them, got kicked for not showing a link.. turned out the person who was kicked spoke Italian only..
If we had known that beforehand, we'd have asked our Italian member to send that person a mail in Italian .. please reconsider the request, it'll make alot of people happy :grin: !!

sebastopol-ca 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:53 pm   

filmore wrote:
sebastopol-ca wrote:

I know that.. I was thinking of the possibility of showing what language(s) you speak in your sum-up .. so that we can mail people in their own (not English) language when there are problems.. sebastopol-ca was meaning that too..

I'll give you an example:

Someone in our guild had (a) hidden link(s), was online, got several mails (in English) but did not respond to them, got kicked for not showing a link.. turned out the person who was kicked spoke Italian only..
If we had known that beforehand, we'd have asked our Italian member to send that person a mail in Italian .. please reconsider the request, it'll make alot of people happy :grin: !!

Hope you noticed that my reply to you was an edit by someone, all i did was attempt to thank you in dutch, guess the above editor didnt think it was proper? I did not reply to you with the above comment.

I have had the exact same problem myself, a hidden link and always going negitive, mails sent over and over, had to boot them after 24 hours and no responce to mails, they did not understand english was all and had to go thru another member who spoke there language to understand why we booted them.

filmore 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:32 pm   

Let's brainstorm about how it could be done:

I was thinking: Misc: a checkbox with the major languages and a field (other) where you can add two/three/four more!
For Example:

My case:

I'd check English German French, in "other" I'd add Dutch

The one who edited your post.. he forgot to run Spell-Check .. in my view that isn't proper English
;)
Last edited by filmore on Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total  

sebastopol-ca 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:01 pm   

That's a good idea filmore, lets do that. It would have to be something easy to add on, and I think the blank space to add your own other may be a problem, to many folks might abuse it, and it would add more monitoring to the Admins jobs. But I will think on this today while Im sleeping off the flu bug. See if I can put something together to look at on my own site to show you.

filmore 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:12 pm   

I'll look forward to everything you come up with.. and you're right about that "other" box.. lol.. sometimes I forget we aren't all adults here.. I'll ponder about it too.. Ciao Deej!

DashaBlade 
Gamer Deity

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:09 pm   

People could also add to their short notes something like...

"I speak English, hablo un poco de Español." - in my case, anyway. English is my native language, but I took four years of Spanish in school and I live in Texas where it pays to have at least a basic understanding of Spanish.

purplemkayel 
Gamer Legend

Helped: 1
Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:33 pm   

My short note is already too long, lol, plus the shortnotes like the forum are English only. I think it would be useful for the information to appear on the sumup page. It would make helping members a little easier.

sebastopol-ca 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:11 pm   

Perhaps what we will have to do is try aYMail to each member of the dynasty, when we accept them, asking about the language? I dont see any other remarks from the admins on this topic showing up in the near future, so guess if we want to communicate better, we take it upon ourselves to do so. :sad:

filmore 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:39 pm   

Deej.. are you still pondering about this issue?? Well... I am .. .. what about a flag?? you'd be stars and stripes of course.. but selecting a flag or more.. quite easy and no text needed :)

sebastopol-ca 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:33 pm   

What a great idea filmore, simply a drop down menu with all the different country's available. Im sure that would be easy to add in, how about it Admins?

Reply to topic