SWLE Forum Index
FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Register  Log in  Album  Download

Previous topic :: Next topic
Limiting how bad your CARE can get
MUSHpark 
Gamer Legend

Helped: 1
Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:45 pm   Limiting how bad your CARE can get

In order to see all links, users must successfully complete 25% of HAT tests. This seems a reasonable rule, and for the first few dozen tests, is easy enough to recover from.

However, I was helping a new dynasty member today, who had no idea what the HAT tests were (obviously they had not read the forum and its tutorials). By the time I got to help them their CARE rating is 5/50 = 10% (those were the free 5 that everyone got when the HATs were buggy a few weeks ago). Now that I have had the chance to help this user, he will try to start clicking more HATs and then follow up on the followup links when the time comes. I calculated if he gets the next 11 HATs he will be at 16/61 and start seeing all links.

However, this is almost at the limit of "how bad" I think someone's CARE should be allowed to get. I have seen other users with 5/100. It would take them 25 successful HAT tests to recover. In a few more weeks the numbers will get even higher... high enough that it may be, for some people, unrecoverable.

Some have said it "serves them right" for not doing the HATs, but as the member I was helping today demonstrated, not everyone knows what to do (especially if they don't speak english). I think there should be some limit to how bad your CARE can get, so that you can usually recover it by successfuly doing about ten HATs. Some ideas:
    * Remember only the last 40 tests, so the lowest your score could be would be 0/40. After 10 successful tests you would be 10/40. This has a side benefit of allowing people who have missed 1 test due to slow internet or other factors to recover 100%.

* If impractical to remember 40 tests, how about just remembering 5 tests, but requiring a higher percentage (at least 4 of the last 5 tests).

* If impractical to remember any past tests, maintain the CARE % in a similar way as maintaining dynasty averages, such as using a formula like (9*old+new)/10.

If making no change to the current CARE calculation, perhaps just add a default option to save people from their own ignorance:

* Once a user has reached the point where ALL links are not displayed (more than 10 tests and below 25%) automatically turn their "All links" setting to off. The software already is keeping them from seeing all links, but this will automatically stop the HAT tests (which they will fail) as well. The user would have to manually turn them back on in order to attempt to recover their HAT score, but doing so will not be as hard as it will be later, and by the time they figure out how to do that, hopefully they will be helped by another user in learning what they need to do.)

Or, the equivalent of a reboot:

* Allow people to reset their HAT from whatever setting it is to 0/30, so that they can pass 10 tests and get to 10/40, CARE=25%.

purplemkayel 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:48 am   Re: Limiting how bad your CARE can get

MUSHpark wrote:

-snip-
* Once a user has reached the point where ALL links are not displayed (more than 10 tests and below 25%) automatically turn their "All links" setting to off. The software already is keeping them from seeing all links, but this will automatically stop the HAT tests (which they will fail) as well. The user would have to manually turn them back on in order to attempt to recover their HAT score, but doing so will not be as hard as it will be later, and by the time they figure out how to do that, hopefully they will be helped by another user in learning what they need to do.)
-snip-

I like this one :)

Batezou
Gamer Deity

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:23 pm   

MUSHpark wrote:
not everyone knows what to do (especially if they don't speak english).

Dont know english? so they dont know what to do in action-links.
I think that many ppl forgot that HAT in not for HAT. it is not to make clicking problems.
HAT is made to make ppl to do ACTIONS in action-links, not to do HATs.
If You teach somebody to do hats like 'monkey' he wont be able to to anything else.
I use my DarkThrone link which require to click double-word, a 'monkey' wont do it and I want my link to be hidden from that person.
Anyway, how did he registered and published his link? by pasting it into random field?
And about Code of Conduct (Rules)? ofcourse he have read, understand and agreed with it...

MUSHpark wrote:
If impractical to remember any past tests, maintain the CARE % in a similar way as maintaining dynasty averages, such as using a formula like (9*old+new)/10.

not good, sometimes You get 1 sometimes 0 hats/day. Not very reliable to count averages.

MUSHpark wrote:
Allow people to reset their HAT from whatever setting it is to 0/30, so that they can pass 10 tests and get to 10/40, CARE=25%.

well.... yes. for 500-1000 credits

Croidin 
n00b

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:15 am   

I do agree with MUSHpark here!

For me it was slightly different, as i had never seen a message about the change that had the HATs be added untill 3 or 4 days ago.

Up untill 3 or 4 days ago, i only once typed in somthing on a HAT, but since i didn't understand what it was about, i simply thought it to be a stupid addition by someone (like so many links that only link back to the main page of a site, instead of a personal click-link)... so i stopped typing something on the HATs.

BUT... before the HATs were being added, i used to click ALL the links that needed the extra clickings in order to have the click really count for that member!!!!

I really think the HATs are a stupid way to try and have more people use the extra efforts, especcially since it's not clearly explained why the HAT is showing when it does, and what it is meant for... you really have to come in here to read about it, or have it explained by others, before you can fully understand the function of the HATs.

And now it's seemingly too late for me :-(
I'm down to 15/100, and i haven't seen a HAT page for the last 2 days now... but my HAT count is dropping even more and more... it's just not fair!

I really have come to dislike it very much, and hope more will complain about it.

With regards,
Croidin.

MUSHpark 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:00 am   

Batezou wrote:
Dont know english? so they dont know what to do in action-links.

After failing 10 HATs, users do not even SEE any action links.

The only "action" link such a user sees is a HAT. And if they never understood it, they keep not understanding it.

This is a great policy: not letting people see any more action links if they get 0/10 HATs. I am not arguing that.

I am suggesting that they stop seeing HATs at that point as well, that their "All links" setting be automatically switched off.

If they eventually figure out that they are missing some links and want to see them, they can turn the HATs back on and earn their way up.

As it stands right now people who misunderstood the HAT are getting so low in CARE that they can NEVER recover.

Batezou wrote:
And about Code of Conduct (Rules)? ofcourse he have read, understand and agreed with it...

And maybe he was clicking the Next and Doorgan buttons, or matching the words twice, or matching a # to a word, or even typing a code into a box, all of which are obvious steps.

However, the HAT requires not only clicking the submit button but the typing of random text.... you'd probably see more PASSed HAT tests if you actually put a code there for people to enter instead of "type anything in box bellow" which doesn't translate correctly due to a misspelling.

Batezou wrote:
MUSHpark wrote:
If impractical to remember any past tests, maintain the CARE % in a similar way as maintaining dynasty averages, such as using a formula like (9*old+new)/10.

not good, sometimes You get 1 sometimes 0 hats/day. Not very reliable to count averages.

And sometimes you get 2 or 3. If you do the average each time a HAT is taken you can move the percentage by a tenth, similar to how it would move if you had 0/10 and passed the next HAT.

Reply to topic