SWLE Forum Index
FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Register  Log in  Album  Download

Previous topic :: Next topic
Dragon Cave Links
Ehryn 
Gamer God

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:18 am   Dragon Cave Links

Currently, Dragon Cave links are set as input links. I was wondering if it would be possible (and what other DC players think about it) to set them to non-input links.

Clicking on the 'View' button is helpful to the dragons, but not necessary for their growth - only the Views and Unique Views are required. A dragon can still mature to adulthood with 0 Clicks provided it has the correct number of Views and Unique Views.

So people showing Dragon Cave links are missing out on a lot of those all-important Views and Unique Views because not everyone shows input links. If they were set to non-input links, people who have time and inclination to click on the 'View' button could still do so, but Views and Unique Views would still be gained from those people who don't want to do input links.

I'm sure I'm not explaining it very well....

What do other people think anyway? And is this possible?

Thank you,
~Ryn
x

TiddaMouse 
Gamer Legend

Helped: 1
Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:38 am   

Hehe <3 Ehryn *squishes*. I think it is fairly common knowledge that you are able to raise your dragons without having "clicks" (given by pressing "view"). The reason it was made an action link was to mostly make sure people kept the site up long enough for the images to load. If the images don't load we don't get anything at all. Not everyone uses browsers that support tabs, so some people speed click by just opening the link then closing it immediately after. For some sites this is fine however, DragCave needs the images to load or we gain nothing. The fact that it encourages people to push the view button is nice too.

Lately I have been finding the need to hide some of my eggs because I am getting too many views too quickly hehe and I never show mine in main, always Dyn and History so there definetely is not a problem with lack of people being able to click our links.

Really the only people this would benefit are the people who opt to not see action links, as they will now have a lot more links to click. It wont really benefit DragCave users at all as there are currently more than enough people able to click our links. I guess either way will make little difference. But It would be a shame to lose credits to speed clickers.

Ehryn 
Gamer God

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:07 pm   

Ah, fair enough ^^ I didn't realise that if the images don't load you don't get the views, I thought it was based on viewing the scroll as a whole, rather than the actual images.

In that case, if the page doesn't load properly for me and the images don't load but the frame says it's worked, does that not give views as well? O.o Because if that's the case, I'll click it again till it loads >.>

TiddaMouse 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:10 pm   

Cross forum quotes anyone? hehe

TJ09 wrote:
Q: What are clicks, views, and unique views?
A: Views, Unique Views, and Clicks are statistics that determine if your egg will hatch and if your hatchling will grow. Views are accumulated every time someone views the actual image of your egg/hatchling/adult. Unique Views are obtained in the same way, except only one unique view is given per egg per person. A "click" occurs when someone clicks on your egg in your signature or wherever you place it, and views the page that contains all of the information about your creature. As with Unique Views, clicks are only given once per person.

Yes, if the page does not load you should probably refresh it hehe.

jennielynn 
Gamer God
Trying My Best

Helped: 4 times
Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:55 pm   

Personally, I think that having the frame and having it be an action link is redundant. The frame is there to make sure that people load the page, and it's an input link because there is stuff you can do.

I'd rather just have the frame and let it be a non-action link. I'm surprised that your eggs/hatchlings are getting too many views. Mine have been completely perfect ever since I started using Yarold's exclusively for my scroll.

TiddaMouse 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:01 pm   

As long as it stays in a frame it does not need to be a required action. Like I said it makes little difference either way.

I have only ever used this exchange for my scroll ;) It's just picked up lately, thats why I had to find a second link hehe really only need my scroll up for two days of the week.

Metalteo 
Site Admin

Helped: 14 times
Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:12 pm   

Taking the DC links off the req action, will also make them open when users use the open all* function.

Now DC images take a very long time to load, when you open many links at once. All frames will already have been counted, before most of the scroll have been loaded.

Putting the DC links as no action links will require them to have timers between links, to make sure all scrolls have been loaded or users will lose too many credits without getting views.

Ehryn 
Gamer God

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:19 pm   

Fair enough - we've pretty much proved the redundancy of my suggestion XD

Which is good - because it was an idea I had which would probably do more harm than good for the DCers <3 So feel free to lock this Adminny people, and thanks for the replies everyone ^_^ I'll definitely make sure I load all the dragon cave links properly in future <3

TiddaMouse 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:20 pm   

^^ I knew I forgot a reason. <3 Metalteo

jennielynn 
Gamer God
Trying My Best

Helped: 4 times
Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:10 pm   

Metalteo wrote:
Taking the DC links off the req action, will also make them open when users use the open all* function.

Now DC images take a very long time to load, when you open many links at once. All frames will already have been counted, before most of the scroll have been loaded.

Putting the DC links as no action links will require them to have timers between links, to make sure all scrolls have been loaded or users will lose too many credits without getting views.

I'd much rather have this as an action link than on a timer. :)

kito 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:04 pm   

I agree i would MUCH rather have DC as an action link than on a timer. There are so many DC links it will take forever if they are all on timers.

TiddaMouse 
Gamer Legend

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:09 pm   

Which is why they stay as they are hehe ^^

ThePriest 
Gamer Deity

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:09 am   

[post removed, don't want to give others an idea.]
Last edited by Metalteo on Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total  

Tsai 
Gamer God