SWLE
Link exchange

Support - Ask here - Malware Links?

bantymom - Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:21 pm
Post subject: Malware Links?
I just got a link that generated a warning about malware, my need to contact Apple, and a warning about how dangerous it would be to shut down my computer, etc. etc. The pop-up wouldn't go away and I couldn't quit Chrome. I had to Force Quit.

This is the link:
http://critical-network-system-alert6x.info/

I've been seeing more and more of these bad links, though this seems to be the worst. I reported the first one I came across, but it is still in the mix. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be reporting them or where, so please forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

Anyway, I thought new links (from sites not previously represented on Yarold's) had to be approved before they were let loose in the mix. Is this not the case anymore? If that is still true, how are links like this getting through? Or do I really have a problem now. With more and more "garbage" links, I can't tell what is "fishy" or what is real.

Thanks for your time,
Bantymom

DemonicJ - Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:22 am

The link you have mentioned is not a link in our data base. It may well be served by the game sites that are here (Via the own ads etc). We cannot control that or any of the other garbage links you claim. If they are indeed adserved by game sites, them i'm sure we might have heard more about it (as well as what game its coming from)?

As far as checking links go, they are checked before being allowed here. However, ad based stuff is very hard to check (I run ad block). As physical location, system type, browser types etc can be factored into what ads you get served (browser history as well through tracking cookies). It is also possible that you already had/have malware onboard that might be targeted by these ads etc.

Either way, updated anti virus, ad block etc should already be part of any internet accessible pc.

bantymom - Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:28 am

Thank you for the explanation. That explains a lot. I do have Adblock and Flashblock running, and anti-virus software, but nothing is perfect I suppose. Thank you for your patience.